On the moves to WordPress
About a month and a half ago, I announced that I was making the move from Blogger to WordPress. It’s taken some time, but I think I’m getting the hang of this blog migration thing.
Moving a blog with lots of content
I have even moved my oldest and one of my largest blogs, Journey Inside My MInd. It took some effort — that blog with over six years’ worth of content had to get brought in in five pieces. Here’s how I did it:
- Create a new blog with my WordPress.com account to use as a placeholder. In my case, it was journeyinsidemymind.wordpress.com
- Import the blog content from the Blogger blog to the new WordPress.com blog.
- Export the WordPress.com blog to an XML file.
- Import the XML file to the self-hosted WordPress.org blog, provided that the file is under 2 MB.
- Since the file was not under 2 MB, open the XML file and break it up into smaller pieces that were under 2 MB, keeping the main structure of the file intact.
- Note about Step 5: that is where having experience in hand-editing the Journey Inside My MInd podcast feed has been handy. I clipped out at the <item> tags.
- Import each smaller, bite-sized XML file into the WordPress.org blog.
- Verify that the blog posts were imported successfully.
- Delete the WordPress.com blog.
- Update FeedBurner to reflect the new source feed URL.
Progress thus far
Want to read more like this from Daniel Johnson, Jr.? If you do, subscribe right now!